Great Walks


[Listening to: One Step Closer - U2 - How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb]

F left a copy of Country Walking magazine in the flat when he left this week. This months edition has an article on the 50 Greatest Walks In The World, a few of which I've done:

1   Milford Track, South Island, New Zealand
9   Abel Tasman Coast Track, South Island, New Zealand
12   South West Coastal Path, England

One I do fancy doing is the The Lycian Way in Turkey, a 509 km footpath around the coast of Lycia in southern Turkey. Actually F and I discussed doing all of them, which would be a fantastic way to spend what would probably be the rest of my life, but certain obstacles would have to be overcome, such as finding an alternative income (needed to buy food and replacement boots). Perhaps I could persuade F and his brother M to do The Lycain Way - M is married to a Turkish girl, and does go there quiet often. Obviously living in Italy then the Grand Escursione Appeninca, the Mount Etna Circuit, the Grand Traversata Delle Alpi and the Tour Of Mont Blanc would be the first to attempt. One not mentioned that I had been looking at was the GR20 in Corsica, but I don't fancy tackling that on my own.

Not included in their list but routes I have walked are the Colorado Trail, the Routeburn and the Rees Dart track in New Zealand. But having done those I'd agree with their conclusion that the Milford Track is the most beautiful walk in the world. I was lucky to get to do it, it had rained 21" in 24-hours only 2 days before I was due to start, and the day before the tarck was still closed. I've no photos from the first day, mostly because I was wading through floodwater for most of the day.

Comments

Popular Posts