Bicycle, oh bicycle


[Listening to: Sitting, Waiting, Wishing - Jack Johnson - In Between Dreams (03:04)]

Since my accident in October I've not been able to cycle (or even walk propely for a few months). During lunch today I struck up a conversation with a colleague who I noticed was looking a bit slimmer than last year, and the reason, it transpired, was that he's been cycling every Saturday morning since he bought himself a new Mountain Bike. I've been doing physiotherapy since the accident, but the recommendation was that I shouldn't get on my bike until March or April - but during the conversation today I realise that I actually really miss it. I miss the mental part of it as well as the physical - the sounds and smells that you encounter whilst travelling at a slower speed, the time you have to look at things, the feeling of being part of your surrounding and not being cocoooned in a metal box. As I said yesterday, driving a car here in Rome (or any city for that matter) can be stressful - but the daily commute by bike doesn't leave you stressed. You arrive at work tired, but having already achieved something. You're warm, tingling, alive. Put me back on my bike...

Comments

Popular Posts